A cooling Pillow is a type of bedroom gear aimed to keep you cool while you sleep. For this, different types of technologies are incorporated within these pillows that result in this cooling effect.
See Also: How to Choose the Best Bras for Full-Figured? (3 Expert Tips)
The best cooling pillow is the one that provides an ample amount of support to your neck, shoulders, and head wicks away sweat and diffuses the heat from your body efficiently.
Buying Guide for Cooling Pillows
This poor soul just had a terrifying dream about a hot sweaty down pillow that needed to be turned to the cool side
Selecting the right design and structure of a Cooling Pillow is crucial since it will decide the quality of your sleep.
I think such a pillow ought to have the right amount of contour that supports and comforts your neckline, without straining it. It should naturally adapt to the posture of your head, without sparing too much gap between your neck and bed.
Different cooling pillows utilize different forms of cooling technologies, so let’s have a look at what are their types and how to choose the ideal one.
Types of Cooling Pillows
Memory Foam Pillows Infused With Gel Pad
Such pillows tend to extract heat from your head and neck by using the concept of conduction. When you are not using the pillow the gel pad’s temperature drops down to match with the room temperature.
Hence, when you put your head on the pillow, you instantly feel cool. These types of pillows tend to provide a cooling sensation for a limited period and do not tend to last longer. But, they are best for people with neck aches
Pillows that are made from PCM (Phase Change material) use innovative technology. When this material is changing its phase from liquid to solid or vice versa, it can release or absorb heat from your body. Such pillows come in handy on warm as well as cold nights.
Such pillows are throughout filled with natural materials (e.g. buckwheat) that promote maximum breathability and allow air to flow freely.
And so, any sort of warmth is never build-up inside it. It uses no gel pads and no other technology. Simply, it allows maximum airflow and wicks away moisture, resulting in a cooling sensation.
Benefits of Using a Cooling Pillow
- One of the many reasons why you can’t fall asleep at night might be high body temperature. Utilizing a cooling pillow will regulate body temperature and cause head cooling, eventually helping you to sleep faster and deeper.
- Using a cooling pillow might also aid some types of insomniac patients.
- Common symptoms of metabolic diseases include constant changing of positions during sleep, sleep-talking, etc. The cooling pillow will help you sleep soundly and thus, help to cure these metabolic diseases.
- Enhances your mental health, makes you more alert and focused.
- Keeps you sweat-free all through the night; saves electricity charges as you do not need any other cooling device like ACs.
- It can relieve headaches, neck and back pains
Things to Look For In A Cooling Pillow:
Generally, most cooling pillows available today are made from memory foam. Their structure is firm and dense. Hence, it is recommended for people having neck or back pain issues.
Next, come ventilated gel foam pillows. These types of pillows promote breathability and are much softer than conventional memory foam. Contoured pillows are great for side sleepers as well as back sleepers. And, stomach sleepers might want to look for pillows with plush material.
Type of Sleeperz
If you are a back sleeper, then medium-firm pillows are recommended for you. However, if you are a side sleeper, then very firm pillows might be optimal for you.
If you are a stomach sleeper, then the pillows that are too soft, thin yet supportive towards your neck are preferable.
A cooling pillow must have a life expectancy of about 3 to 4 years. So, the warranty period provided more than this period will always ensure its high-quality.
If the pillow is certified by CertiPUR-US, then rest assured of its fine quality build and durability.
Make sure to check whether the pillow is resistant to dust mites and is made from hypoallergenic material to avoid any inconvenience after purchase.
Thickness and Fabric
The fabric of the pillow must be highly breathable. Make sure to check the thickness of the pillow, too thin pillows might lose their shape prematurely.
In-depth Reviews of Top 5 Best Cooling Pillows:
#1, PharMeDoc Memory Foam Pillow with Cooling Gel
PharMeDoc is an Orthopedic Support Pillow deliberately made for relieving spinal aches. Extremely soft memory foam offers maximum support to your neck and head.
Moreover, it also helps in the proper alignment of your spine, relieving pressure points and retaining your natural posture.
PharMeDoc has two reversible sides; one side is incorporated with cooling gel, whereas the other side has plush memory foam
. The cooling gel side keeps you cool during warm nights and the memory foam side keeps you warm during cooler nights.
Featuring the Thermoregulating Cooling Gel Technology, the PharMeDoc pillow extracts body heat and diffuses it capably, hence providing you with a cool feeling during the night. The removable pillow cover is made from hypoallergenic material and allows quick cleaning with endurance for about 300+ wash-downs.
- Cotton Blended Outer cover reduces moisture and relaxes the skin
- Viscoelastic material supports your neck and head structure
- A cooling gel pad is heat-resistant
- The gel can regulate temperature and keep you cool throughout the night
- Hypoallergenic foam pillow, resistant to dust mites
- Backed with Lifetime Manufacturer’s warranty
- Orthopedic Support pillow offers a therapeutic effect
- Smells horrible, even after airing it
- Too firm, not for back sleepers
#2, Classic Brands Reversible Cooling Pillow
Classic Brands introduces their version of Reversible Memory Foam pillow. One side has medium-soft memory foam, whereas another side has medium-firm cooling sheet gel. With about 5” of the total thickness, this pillow is optimum for side, stomach as well as back sleepers.
The cooling gel technology efficiently sets off ventilation and offers cooling comfort. The product comes all-included with a removable Performance Knit Cover. The cooling gel material is surrounded by memory foam, so you do not have to flip the pillow every time you want a cool side.
Classic Brands pillow retorts to your body temperature and pressure applied by you, hence it conforms to the shape of your head, shoulders, and neck to support it firmly. It has been made from hypoallergenic material and is dust-mite resistant.
This Memory foam is fairly porous, unlike conventional foam which has a closed-cell structure. This is why it is more ventilated and comfortable than the high-density viscoelastic foam
- Backed with 3 years warranty period
- Comes with a Machine-washable Zippered Knit Cover
- Gives a medium-soft feel; not too firm, not too soft
- Memory foam relieves pressure points from the neck, back, and shoulders
- Open-cell memory foam promotes ventilation through the pillow
- Standard size pillow- 24” x 16” with 5” thickness
- There is no contour provided for the neck
- Cooling technology needs to be improved
#3, Iso-Cool Side Sleeper Pillow
Exclusively crafted from Outlast Adaptive Comfort material, the Iso-cool pillow competently adjusts to your body’s varying temperature.
This material features microscopic PCM (Phase Change Material) beads aimed to absorb body heat to make you feel cool or discharge heat to make you feel warm.
The gusseted and plush design of the pillow has been incorporated with viscoelastic memory foam for the extreme comfort of side sleepers. It measures 16” x 22”. It comes with a 100% cotton case for promoting breathability.
- Highly concentrated PCMs regulates your body temperature
- Keeps you cool during warm nights, keeps you warm during cool nights
- Perfect for side sleepers; Gusseted and plush design• It is approximately 5.5” thick in the center
- Retains its shape well
- Slightly expensive
- Might feel too heavy when purchased, needs to be fluffed up before use
#4, Classic Brands Ventilated Gel Gusseted Pillow
Classic Brands Pillow has been uniquely designed by infusing cooling gel particles with Memory foam, delivering a cool and plush sleeping platform.
It adjusts itself to your body’s temperature and pressure.
The Ventilated Gel memory foam is exceedingly porous as compared to the conventional memory foam, and hence it is more comfortable and breathable than other viscoelastic foams.
The product comes included with a Performance Knit cover made from 100% cool-pass fabric. This fabric material can wick away excess moisture and soothe your skin for a cooling sensation throughout the night.
The gusseted side of the pillow is deliberately made from the side as well as back sleepers. This pillow is naturally resistant to dust mites, molds, bacteria, allergens.
- Gel particles are infused into Memory foam for better effectiveness
- Performance knit cover keeps the pillow surface cool
- This cover has an X-shaped configuration to wick away moisture efficiently
- Open-cell memory foam promotes breathability better
- A higher profile is ideal for the side as well as back sleepers
- Backed with 5 years of the warranty period
- Does not support your neck well
- Too firm and thick
#5.ViscoSoft Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Standard Arctic Gel Contour Pillow
The exclusive Arctic Gel Contour Pillow introduced by ViscoSoft comprises 2 pounds of Wave-Flow cooling gel that favors high thermal conductivity. It is precisely formulated to adapt to your body’s temperature and promote maximum airflow.
Cooler than the conventional molded foam, this pressure-sensitive memory foam adapts to the natural contours of your shoulders and neck, aiding neck aches and offering maximum support/comfort for side sleepers as well as back sleepers.
The super-responsive design conforms to your every movement and aligns your spine through the night.
Moreover, the cooling pillow comes with a Washable Cover made from COOLMAX® material, which is fairly hypoallergenic, breathable, and wicks excess moisture away. This polyester fabric uses ‘Wick-away’ Technology and is uniquely engineered to enhance ventilation, better than cotton.
The contour pillow measures about 20” x 14” x 4.5”. And best of all, the ViscoSoft Arctic Gel Contour Pillow is backed with 3 years warranty period and a 30-days money-back guarantee for your suitable use.
- Offers Therapeutic support to your neck and shoulders• Great value for money
- Soft and responsive Memory foam• Ideal for both, side and back sleepers
- Comes with a washable anti-bacterial cover
- Backed with 3 years warranty
- Might feel too small as compared to other pillows
- The cooling effect does not last all night long
- Gives out a strong chemical smell
What is the Best Way To Use A Cooling Pillow?
Most of the Cooling Pillows available out there are not machine-washable. However, for maintaining the health of your pillow, you might want to wash its cover regularly and consider spot cleaning if you notice any stains on the inside.
Use warm water and a little bit of liquid detergent for hard stains. Once in a while, you can use a vacuum cleaner to clean the surface of the pillow. Always keep your newly purchased pillow to air dry for few hours before using, especially memory foam pillows.
These pillows tend to reek of chemicals. But, this chemical stink is not at all harmful in any way. Try folding the pillow in half and leave it.
If it promptly retains its natural shape, you can continue using these pillows. But if it takes time to come back to its original form, you might want to consider buying a new one.
For myself, I think the Iso-cool Side Sleeper pillow is the Best cooling pillow given to its unique Outlast Adaptive Comfort material. This material adeptly conforms to the temperature of your body.
The best feature of this pillow is that it can capably provide you warmth during cooler nights and keep you cool during warm nights, all because of the microscopic PCMs.
The gusseted and plush design of the pillow proves to be a huge benefit for side sleepers. It does not lose its shape over time and has just the right amount of thickness.